Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas tree is here!



In spite of feeling miserable yesterday and Friday we went to get our tree on Saturday. Art and I bundled up in an assortment of long underwear, wool and heavy coats before heading out to the tree farm. I also loaded up on Kleenex. We had phoned ahead so we also knew that we could get a pre-cut tree at the farm as I was not feeling up to the wagon ride and subsequent tree cuttting this year. We had discussions on whether or not we wanted a real tree but in the end decided that a real tree is the most environmentally friendly all the way around. Fake trees actually produce gases which is not what I want circulating in the house especially after I made the switch to all natural cleaners. They also take gas and oil to produce which is not a renewable resource. Plus we love the natural smell of the tree and since the tree producers actually replant another tree to replace this one we know that more oxygen will still be produced. In the end the city actually picks up the tree and shreds it for future use as mulch in our playgrounds instead of when it is worn out to send it to the dump to decorate it for the next thousand years.

Anyway, we ended up driving to Pakenham which is not that far from us to the farm and drove down the narrow driveway to a picturesque property. The wagons and tractors were hauling tonnes of people to cut their trees and we meandered around the bonfire and hot chocolate they were handing out while watching the kids slide down the hill. We finally made it over to start searching the trees. We knew we wanted a big one and couldn't find exactly the one we wanted at first. We turned the corner towards the back and realized there was a whole bunch more trees waiting for us including our perfect tree. Art and I both saw it at the same time and we both grabbed it. I guarded the tree while he went to arrange to pick it up. They came and helped us shake and wrap it while I went inside to pay for it. Then Art heaved it over one shoulder and loaded it on the car. We got it back home and barely up the stairs. Art cut off the bottom and I helped him put it in the tree stand. We then realized we didn't have enough lights. So we headed back into town while the tree branches descended and purchased a multitude of lights. We spent last evening decorating and having a good time. I could even smell the tree slightly through my blocked nasal passages. It was awesome!

2 comments:

Angel said...

Congratulations on finding your tree! It looks super!

Monique said...

Thanks Angel! We really like it!