Monday, November 3, 2008

Construction, Snow, Pumpkins, Cats and Birthday.

Last week was absolutely nuts. We have been working at every opprotunity to get things done around here and it just ended up being crazy. We mortared and grouted. We nailed and hammered and we did more than a little plumbing. But the house looks great and surprisingly we didn't fight. Not that we usually do as we plod along during our renos and finishings but I'm told this is rare. I read an article recently that said if you are married and planning to do a reno on a large scale it could be similar to tenting beside railroad tracks. In other words you tend to get very annoyed with each other. Not with Art. We seem to have a system. I get a tool and hand it to him and he uses said tool. I clean and chatter and he fixes stuff. Occasionally, I am involved with a task which is usually painting, mudding, taping or anything to do with insulating. This seems to works for us and usually involves both a lot of frustration and laughter. This week was no exception and we had lots of both but got mainly everything accomplished which we set out to do.

On Monday evening Art came home with the news that it was going to snow on 20cm on Tuesday evening. I didn't believe him and thought he was pulling my leg. That is until I heard it on the radio for myself Tuesday morning. I even wondered for a moment if Art could be in cahoots with the radio forcaster. :) By Tuesday evening we did get quite the storm blowing snow and causing blackouts everywhere. It even fried something in this computer which is the reason in my delay for writing. On Wednesday morning I was driving very carefully on unplowed roads with four kids in my mini-van to school. It was more than a bit stressful. Snow before November is unheard of in Ottawa. Not to mention that I didn't yet have the snow tires on my van. Somehow we made it through. The next hurdle was a friend of ours who is moving to a newly built home and recently sold her other home. She was storing her stuff in our basement until she moves to the new place in April. So last Thursday I was cleaning out the basement and preparing for all the men who were coming to help. In the end a good time was had by all and the stuff is now all safely tucked in the corner of our basement.

Friday of course was Halloween. I found two of the largest pumpkins at a local grocery store to carve. I hulled them out and got them carved into some scary faces for all the little gremlins coming to trick or treat. After we had about eight trick or treaters at 8pm Art informed me we were going out. So we closed down everything and we hit the road. We pulled up at a house not far from here and Art told me he had a surprise for me. When we went in I found the couple inside holding the cutest cat. We soon found out after we took him home that he was very skittish and were forced to take him back as he was not eating but at least for a brief time we had our own pet. On Saturday, Art turned 32. We spent the day continuing to tidy up and relaxing around here. We pretty much gorged ourselves on chocolate, chips and pop until we decided to go out for dinner in the evening. We had a fantastic day!!! On Sunday Art and I had two of our friends over where we rocked the world playing Guitar hero. It was a great ending to the weekend!

2 comments:

Angel said...

Glad you guys enjoyed his birthday! I hope he got my message on Saturday.

Too bad about the kitten - are you going to try again?

Monique said...

Yes, he got the message. But by the time we got back from town it was a bit late to phone you. He didn't want to wake up Ava.

We will try again with another cat. We're hoping for a slightly crazy one like our landlords had when we rented a room a couple of years ago. We will see. :)