On Friday, March 10th a new life came into the world and in a small way ours as little Christian Pierce made his arrival. Our friends Chantal and Jeff were quite ecstatic to have him finally as he was a bit overcooked I think. :) Since they go to our church we will be quite happy to hold onto to him and play with him and his big brother and big sister.
On the following Sunday, Art and I were invited over to a friend's house for lunch. We were quite spoiled with subs and Art's favourite broccoli salad. Art liked lunch so much we ended up staying for dinner too which again was one of Art's favourites Bacon cheeseburgers and more broccoli salad with as much Coke as he could drink. Poor Art is feeling deprived these days as I have cut everything back in our house. Only the occasional bottle of coke makes it in and we've been eating a higher protein diet with less carbs and little sugar. He has slowly gotten used to whole grain pasta, brown rice and a lot more veggies. Thankfully, we have found our way around some of these things with non-sugar pudding, jello and some other interesting recipes. Unfortunatley for him this is the way it will be around here for the next little while. He's really been good about it as the doctors are quite concerned that I will become diabetic and has prompted them to insist on a low sugar and low carb diet for me. In order to support me in this he too has taken on the diet. What a fine man I have here!
On Monday morning we received news that our friend Jim who had been diagonsed with Pancreatic Cancer just over a month ago had passed away. It was a sad time for us as he was our deacon at church and someone we both admired. I don't think that I've seen a more Godly man than Jim. His quiet and gentle spirit will be very much missed by us, his wife and his family. Our biggest regret is that we didn't spend more time with him while we had the chance. It made us remember that our time on earth is short and we should take advantage of every opprotunity.
The rest of the week seemed to crawl as I was anticipating March break and the freedom it would give me for a time. No 5am wake up calls and Art even agreed to get his own lunch at McDonalds so I wouldn't have to make it. I'm sure that there is no ulterior motives in that either. ;)
We attended Jim's funeral on Saturday and it was a time of deep sadness. I was so impressed by Jim's wife Jean though who raised her hands to God thanking him for the time she had with him. 40 years of marriage she said. "I had my first date with him at 13. I guess I made a good choice all those years ago and I know I'll see him again." What a difference it makes to be a Christian wife knowing that while you miss your husband you still have that hope of seeing him again.
Now I am on March break and enjoying the time that I'm sure will fly by. So for now I'll drink my coffee and enjoy the weather and try to get a million things packed in before the weekend. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment