Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011 is Here

It's hard for me to believe that it is 2011.  I wonder if this year will bring as many surprises as the last.  In 2010 we had a series of struggles and accomplishments.  At the beginning of the year Art became very ill and we were very frustrated that no one could figure out what was wrong with him.  At the same time we also finally had our new propane furnace installed after years of break down with out electric.  By Feb. we were well on our way to heating our home for the first time ever.  Art's illness continued for some time until around May or June when he began finding work in construction.  He had to push himself for quite some time before he started to feel like himself again and he still from time to time feels the effects of it. 

In June, Art was asked by a guy he did a tile job for to come and take a look at his apartment complex where there was a rotting post.  Little did we know what replacing one post would do.  When Art arrived he realized the whole structure had rotted and warped beyond a little repair and got himself into a very large job.  Our friend Darrell jumped in to help him jack up the three story balcony which was around 100 years old and rip it all out.  This first story balcony led to the second story being totally replaced and then the third story balcony.  While I was at home on summer vacation Art was busy working there. 

In August Art definitely needed a vacation as did I.  I had helped hand tools and bring lumber to my handsome hubby for about three weeks of my summer and I was ready to lay around somewhere.  So I booked our vacation and packed all our stuff and we headed out the last week in August to the Gaspe.  It's quite a beautiful spot if you ever have the chance to go.  We saw gorgeous mountains and ocean and most importantly end of season sales in all the tourist shops.  We actually had a good time figuring out how to say things in french but for the most part we could speak english as I had pre-prepared all our meals and snacks.

Setember meant back to school and back to work for me.  I headed back meeting some cute kids and having some of the old regulars back in the van.  For once the van was reasonably quiet even if I ended up with more kids than usual.  Art continued his day job and his night job.  We became like two ships passing in the night.  However, by the time Art's birthday rolled around in November we were able to scedule a weekend away.  We found an awesome cabin where we watched the first snowfall come in from the hot tub.  Truly a great sight.

December meant Christmas preperations were under way and Art continued his grueling schedule.  We managed to find time to get the tree and I decorated the house.  We also bought a new bed for each other for Christmas.  By Christmas eve Art had finally finished his job downtown and we were able to spend a wonderful relaxing Christmas together.  We ended up getting each other "extra" presents, spent time with friends and generally doing nothing throughout the holidays.  So what will happen in 2011?  Who knows but I'm sure whatever it is we will be busy like every other year.  Happy New Year everyone!



1 comment:

Angel said...

Happy New Year!!! Hope to see you guys this year sometime.

Sending you lots of love!
Angel & family