I can say that for first time in a while I feel happy and calm. It never ceases to amaze me how small changes in one's life can make such a huge difference. Over March break for instance I got a hair cut which made me feel much better about myself and it was worth every penny I paid for it.
One of my runs had the addition of a new student and I had already felt pretty overwhelmed with six students in the van ranging from JK to GR.8. I was wondering how to handle it when my boss called and switched my overloaded run with a much smaller and younger version. It also included a student I had last year who has down syndrome and whom I adore! This has totally uplifted my spirits and makes me a much happier woman coming home from work instead of stressing out from mediating between two sets of siblings and the older and younger kids.
Temperatures are rising at a uncharacteristic rate which makes the house feel much warmer and the sunshine only adds more happiness to my life. That and the feeling that I am actually making a difference in the kids lives that I work with. One teen I take has a severe form of ADHD. Last year he was quite uncontrollable but this year has really blossomed into a more responsible kid. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but really much better. He struggles with the understanding of the necessity of personal hygiene. So today we had this talk on what not brushing your teeth does to your gums, teeth and to your chances for a girlfriend and he really understood. So now he has promised to brush at least once a day and floss at least once a week. I know it doesn't seem like much but this kid was brushing on average about once every couple of weeks and no flossing. And so it goes. Winning some battles and losing others but overall making a difference. My only wish is that I could help them more than what I do. It's often hard when I know what types of homes some of these kids go back to every day.
Art too has been enjoying the effects of spring. His energy has been a bit more reknewed with the onset of warmer weather. He has been talking about building a lean-to to cover our wood for next year and many of his other plans for the house and property. This weekend the clean up will commence with stacking and piling first on the agenda. Oliver our cat is enjoying the return of the birds and spends many hours in the window chirping at them because he wants to go out and hunt them. He has also been meowing quite a bit to go outside on the deck to chase this and that but I've only let him out thus far on the balcony. He'll just have to be satisfied with that.
One of my runs had the addition of a new student and I had already felt pretty overwhelmed with six students in the van ranging from JK to GR.8. I was wondering how to handle it when my boss called and switched my overloaded run with a much smaller and younger version. It also included a student I had last year who has down syndrome and whom I adore! This has totally uplifted my spirits and makes me a much happier woman coming home from work instead of stressing out from mediating between two sets of siblings and the older and younger kids.
Temperatures are rising at a uncharacteristic rate which makes the house feel much warmer and the sunshine only adds more happiness to my life. That and the feeling that I am actually making a difference in the kids lives that I work with. One teen I take has a severe form of ADHD. Last year he was quite uncontrollable but this year has really blossomed into a more responsible kid. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but really much better. He struggles with the understanding of the necessity of personal hygiene. So today we had this talk on what not brushing your teeth does to your gums, teeth and to your chances for a girlfriend and he really understood. So now he has promised to brush at least once a day and floss at least once a week. I know it doesn't seem like much but this kid was brushing on average about once every couple of weeks and no flossing. And so it goes. Winning some battles and losing others but overall making a difference. My only wish is that I could help them more than what I do. It's often hard when I know what types of homes some of these kids go back to every day.
Art too has been enjoying the effects of spring. His energy has been a bit more reknewed with the onset of warmer weather. He has been talking about building a lean-to to cover our wood for next year and many of his other plans for the house and property. This weekend the clean up will commence with stacking and piling first on the agenda. Oliver our cat is enjoying the return of the birds and spends many hours in the window chirping at them because he wants to go out and hunt them. He has also been meowing quite a bit to go outside on the deck to chase this and that but I've only let him out thus far on the balcony. He'll just have to be satisfied with that.
The new Internet Explorer® 8 - Faster, safer, easier. Optimized for Yahoo! Get it Now for Free!
1 comment:
Yay, I'm glad you're both feeling well. The sunshine and warm weather really does refresh the spirit.
Post a Comment