Friday, October 7, 2011

Those words I didn't want to hear

I've always known this day was coming but it doesn't seem to change the way I felt about it.  Yep, "You need to take insulin."  It happened in August of this year.  My Dad had been type 2 diabetic at 35 and my Mom at 40.  The doctors had always said it was just a matter of time.  My insulin resistance happened over the last few years to where I started taking oral medication.  However, that began not to work over the summer.  I saw my sugars start to rise and I started to fight with my dietcians over taking something else.  So they continued to hound me until I finally gave in and I started taking the crazy stuff.

So now that I'm on insulin was it really so bad?  Not really.  It took a while for my sugars to come down to the right level and we had to fiddle with it to get the right amount but now that we are finished I wondered why I waited so long.  I have so much more energy than ever before and I've noticed I can do things again that I couldn't for a while.  Who knew that the needles and the poking would be worth it?

No comments: